The Resource 1848-1860
- Inclusive dates
- Daybooks, 1848-1860, of the Winchester, Virginia, law firm owned by Robert Y. Conrad (1805-1875) and John Randolph Tucker (1823-1897). Includes daily accounts for legal services provided by Conrad and Tucker for their clients
- Biographical or historical data
- Robert Young Conrad was born on 27 December 1805 and married Elizabeth Whiting Powell (1809-1872) in 1829. He attended Winchester Academy and West Point Military Academy, but resigned the service before graduation. Among his children was Holmes Conrad (1840-1915). Robert Y. Conrad served as a delegate from Winchester to the Virginia Secession Convention in 1861. After many years working as an attorney in Winchester, Conrad died on 5 May 1875. He was interred in Mount Hebron Cemetery in Winchester, Virginia.
- John Randolph Tucker was born on 24 December 1823, the son of Judge Henry St. George and Ann Evelina Hunter Tucker of Winchester. He received his law degree from the University of Virginia in 1844. After admission to the Bar, he opened a law practice in Winchester, where he worked from 1845 to 1857. From 1857 to 1865, Tucker served as Attorney General of Virginia. After the Civil War, Tucker moved to Baltimore, where he was general council to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. In 1870 Tucker again moved; this time he went to Washington and Lee University in Lexington, where he was a professor of law until 1875. Citizens elected Tucker to the United States House of Representatives in 1875, and he served in that capacity until 1887. John Randolph Tucker died on 13 February 1897 in Lexington and is buried in Mount Hebron Cemetery in Winchester.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals, which are owned by the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society, are located in Handley Regional Library in Winchester, Virginia.
ContextContext of 1848-1860
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1848-1860
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/km6aVWbnWxU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/km6aVWbnWxU/">1848-1860</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...