The Resource 1822-1864
- Inclusive dates
- African Americans -- Employment -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Amherst County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Amherst County (Va.)
- Free African Americans. -- Virginia | Amherst County
- African Americans -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Free negro and slave records -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Registers (lists) -- Virginia | Amherst County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Amherst County
- African Americans -- Virginia
- Amherst County (Va.) Register of Free Negroes, 1822-1864, lists the age, name, color, stature, marks or scars, in what court the person was emancipated or whether the person was born free. Some clerks recorded additional information not required by law such as a parent's name. There is no index. Following the register pages are seven loose papers that are either copies of individual registers or rough drafts of registrations recorded in the book
- Beginning at the end of the volume is a List of Deeds recorded in the clerk's office of Amherst County subject to taxation, January 1845-May 1850. Information recorded includes names of grantor and grantee, date, and any applicable tax. There is one loose deed inserted in the pages following the list of deeds
- Biographical or historical data
- Amherst County was named for Major Jeffery Amherst, British commander in North America during the French and Indian War and governor of Virginia from 1759 to 1768. It was formed from Albemarle County in 1761.
- An act passed by the Virginia legislature in 1803 required every free negro or mulatto to be registered and numbered in a book to be kept by the county clerk.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Amherst County (Va.) Register of Free Negroes
ContextContext of 1822-1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1822-1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kpecdNLQB3k/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kpecdNLQB3k/">1822-1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...