The Resource 1861-1864
- Inclusive dates
- Papers, 1861-1864, of Edward Willis (1840-1864), kept by him while serving with the 12th Georgia Infantry during the Civil War. The collection contains official military records, including copies of commissions, general and special orders concerning leaves of absences, appointments and resignations, troop movements, work details, courts martial and other disciplinary matters, surgeons' certificates of disability, morning reports, circulars, ordnance invoices and returns, vouchers, and requisitions. Also included is correspondence addressed to Willis, as well as Major George Jackson, Col. William L. Jackson, Maj. Alexander C. Jones, and Gen. Edward Johnson
- Biographical or historical data
- Edward Willis was a native of Washington, Georgia. He attended West Point, but resigned on 1 February 1861 to accept a commission as lieutenant in the First Georgia State Infantry. In July 1861, Willis was appointed adjutant of the 12th Georgia Infantry. He was then promoted to Captain and served as chief of staff to Gen. Edward Johnson, and was acting chief of artillery on the staff of Stonewall Jackson. Willis was appointed colonel of the 12th Georgia at the Battle of Fredericksburg. He was killed at the Battle of Mechanicsville on 31 May 1864.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1861-1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1861-1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kwyFDEjEGyg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/kwyFDEjEGyg/">1861-1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...