The Resource Bland County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1915-1919
- Bland County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1915-1919
- Inclusive dates
- Military records -- Virginia | Bland County
- Veterans. -- Virginia | Bland County
- Bland County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Bland County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Bland County
- Muster rolls -- Virginia | Bland County
- World War, 1917-1918 -- Registers -- Virginia | Bland County
- Virginia -- History -- World War, 1914-1918
- Bland County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1915-1919 (bulk 1917-1918), is a listing of men who served in one of the several branches of the armed services during World War I. Information included in the muster roll includes name, address (name of town), age, color, selective service (date drafted), volunteers for army, navy and marine corps (date accepted and which branch), National Guard and naval militia (date and where mustered), rank, branch, and remarks which include notations about date discharged, reason and date of deaths, whether someone was a chaplain, etc
- Found in the book are certificates of Honarable Discharge from the United States Army for William Bryan Bird, Herman B. Shufflebarger, William M. Faulkner, James W. Leslie, and Stanley L. Leslie. There is a letter from P. C. Harris, the Adjutant General of the War Department giving information about the death of Private Albert R. Hull in Aachen, Germany on September 26, 1918. There is a copy of the pamphlet "Virginians Who Lost Their Lives in the World War" reprinted from the Annual Report Adjutant General of Virginia for Year Ending December 31, 1920. There is a piece of paper with information about the service of John Nye Tickle, Ben. T. Tickle, and Charles G. Tickle. The entry in the Muster Roll for Ben. T. Tickle states that he was accepted as a Volunteer on October 15, 1915. The entry in the Muster Roll for Charles G. Tickle states that he was accepted as a Volunteer on December 18, 1915
- Biographical or historical data
- Bland County is said to have been named for Richard Bland, a leader of colonial Virginia's resistance to Great Britain in the 1760s and 1770s. It was formed from Giles, Wythe, and Tazewell Counties in 1861, and another part of Giles was added in 1900.
- An act passed by the Virginia General Assembly on March 16, 1918 required the recordation of the names of drafted men. The chairman of each of the Local Draft Boards of the Virginia counties and cities were to furnish their clerk of court were deeds of land were recorded, with the list of residents who through the selective draft law have become members of the military forces of the United States. In cities that were separated into divisions, the chairman of the Local Draft Board of each division was to keep the records. In Richmond City, the Clerk of the Chancery Court was to keep the records. When the clerk of the court received this information, he was to copy it in a book or books provided for the purpose and also create an index for the book. The Adjutant-General of the State was to furnish a list of names of those who joined volunteer companies from the counties or cities. These lists are also to be recorded in to the book and also indexed. Persons joining the naval or military forces of the United States or its allies were allowed to have their record listed in the book. They or someone for them made an application and provide proof of service and when this was done; their record would be recorded in the book.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Bland County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1915-1919
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Bland County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1915-1919
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/lEpNeRx2o7E/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/lEpNeRx2o7E/">Bland County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1915-1919</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...