The Resource Norfolk County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1901-1919
- Norfolk County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1901-1919
- Inclusive dates
- Norfolk County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Muster rolls -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Chesapeake (Va.)
- World War, 1917-1918 -- Registers -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Military records -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Veterans. -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Virginia -- History -- World War, 1914-1918
- Norfolk County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1901-1919 (bulk 1917-1918), is a listing of men who served in one of the several branches of the armed services during World War I. Information included in the muster roll includes name, address (name of town), age, color, selective service (date drafted), volunteers for army, navy and marine corps (date accepted and which branch), National Guard and naval militia (date and where mustered), rank, branch, and remarks which include notations about date discharged, reason and date of deaths, whether someone was a chaplain, etc
- Found in the book is a paper with a list of names and an order number listed by each name. Recorded in the book is an entry for E. Heilman who volunteered for and mustered into the Navy on May 13, 1901 in New York. Addresses of the servicemen that are recorded in the book include Portsmouth, Norfolk City, Princess Anne County, other Virginia localities and other states
- Biographical or historical data
- Norfolk County (extinct) probably was named by Adam Thoroughgood, a local resident, from his native county in England. It was formed from Lower Norfolk County in 1691. Norfolk County became extinct in 1963, when it was consolidated with the city of South Norfolk to form the city of Chesapeake.
- An act passed by the Virginia General Assembly on March 16, 1918 required the recordation of the names of drafted men. The chairman of each of the Local Draft Boards of the Virginia counties and cities were to furnish their clerk of court were deeds of land were recorded, with the list of residents who through the selective draft law have become members of the military forces of the United States. In cities that were separated into divisions, the chairman of the Local Draft Board of each division was to keep the records. In Richmond City, the Clerk of the Chancery Court was to keep the records. When the clerk of the court received this information, he was to copy it in a book or books provided for the purpose and also create an index for the book. The Adjutant-General of the State was to furnish a list of names of those who joined volunteer companies from the counties or cities. These lists are also to be recorded in to the book and also indexed. Persons joining the naval or military forces of the United States or its allies were allowed to have their record listed in the book. They or someone for them made an application and provide proof of service and when this was done; their record would be recorded in the book.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Norfolk County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1901-1919
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Norfolk County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1901-1919
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/lN5J8OKyVrc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/lN5J8OKyVrc/">Norfolk County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1901-1919</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...