The Resource General correspondence regarding militia fines, 1789-1864
- General correspondence regarding militia fines, 1789-1864
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Revenue Assessment and Collection - Fines. Militia Fines
- This series contains letters received by the auditor concerning militia fines, lists of persons fined, and lists of insolvents from the years 1789, 1794-1819, 1823, 1830, 1845, 1852-1853, 1863-1864
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- In July 1775 the Third Revolutionary Convention passed several ordinances altering the militia system and requiring officers to report those persons who were delinquent in the payment of fines assessed against them for absences from musters and other offenses. Collected fines were used to pay officers and staff and to purchase equipment for the militia units. On 22 December 1792 the General Assembly required company officers to return lists of delinquents to battalion officers and hold courts of enquiry to investigate delinquencies and assess fines. On 28 January 1804 the General Assembly passed an act requiring regimental clerks to file lists of persons fined with sheriffs and the auditor of public accounts. Lists of insolvents were sent by sheriffs to regimental courts of enquiry.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 476
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of General correspondence regarding militia fines, 1789-1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work General correspondence regarding militia fines, 1789-1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/lW4l5t0Gr7g/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/lW4l5t0Gr7g/">General correspondence regarding militia fines, 1789-1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...