The Resource Virginia Express Company Minute Books and Cashbook, 1867-1869
- Virginia Express Company Minute Books and Cashbook, 1867-1869
- Inclusive dates
- Minutes -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Railroads -- Virginia -- Freight
- Virginia Express Company
- Augusta County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Freight and freightage -- Virginia
- Shipment of goods -- Virginia
- Cashbooks -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Augusta County (Va.) -- Commerce -- 19th century
- Local government records -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Business records -- Virginia | Augusta County
- Minute books -- Virginia | Augusta County
- The Virginia Express Company records consist of two minute books and one cashbook
- The Virginia Express Company Minute Book, 1867, records the meetings of the company's stockholders and board of directors. These meetings were held early in the life of the Virginia Express Company and detail the organization of the business. The minutes discuss such topics as the election of officers, the fixing of salaries for company directors and employees, and the creation of by-laws for the government of the business. One meeting details which specific railroads the express company would utilize to ship their freight. Also included in the minutes of the first meeting is a list of stockholders that lists each stockholder by name along with the number of shares purchased
- Minute Book, 1868-1869, records the meetings of the company's stockholders. Meetings were recorded beginning in December 1868 and end in February 1869 and primarily concern the dissolution of the business and transfer of control to various companies. The minutes include copies of the contracts agreed upon that transferred control of the stage line and railroad shipping ventures. Also included in the minutes are presentations of statements of the assets and liabilities of the company along with a list stockholders. The January 1869 meeting briefly discusses the company's reaction to a robbery that occurred in Norfolk, Virginia
- The Virginia Express Company Cashbook, 1867-1869, records the cash received and cash disbursed on a chronological basis. Entries include the type of transaction and the amount of monies debited or credited. Transactions include cash received for the payment of vouchers and receipts; these transactions are often listed under the employee who received the transaction. Freight charges are listed under the customer name and include amounts paid and the locations of departure and arrival. Several freight transactions include the name of the railroad used to ship freight. Also included in the cashbook are company expenses such as livery fees, shoeing horses, rider fees, employee wages, advertising, equipment repairs, amounts paid for damages of freight, and items purchased such as horses, wagons, iron safes, and postage
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia Express Company, incorporated by an act of the General Assembly on 23 February 1867, was a freight and cargo transport company operating out of Staunton, Virginia. The company used both stage lines and railroads to ship its freight. During the establishment of the company, Michael G. Harman served as president and William Watts was a clerk for the company. In December 1868, the Virginia Express Company relinquished control of its shipping lines. The stage line business was taken over by Trotter & Company and Harman & Company, while the railroad interests were taken over by the Adams Express and Southern Express Companies.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- For additional information see the Augusta County Chancery Cause, Norfolk and Petersburg Railroad Company versus Virginia Express Company. It can be found in the Local Records Collection at the Library of Virginia. The index number is 1891-077.
ContextContext of Virginia Express Company Minute Books and Cashbook, 1867-1869
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Virginia Express Company Minute Books and Cashbook, 1867-1869
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/lfhu0lkOtSU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/lfhu0lkOtSU/">Virginia Express Company Minute Books and Cashbook, 1867-1869</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...