The Resource St. George Tucker account book, 1783-1823
- St. George Tucker account book, 1783-1823
- Inclusive dates
- Account book, 1783-1823, of St. George Tucker (1752-1827), containing mainly payments made by him on behalf of his law clients for court fees, as well as payments for interest on bonds and notes made to his associates, and notations for the repayment to him by the individuals and banks involved. There are also personal accounts of Tucker, including medical services, tuition, and books purchased for his children, and references to his publication of Sir William Blackstone's "Commentaries on the Laws of England." There is an index at the beginning of the volume
- Biographical or historical data
- St. George Tucker was born 29 June 1752 (O.S.) in Port Royal, Bermuda. He emigrated to Virginia in his late teens and entered the College of William and Mary. Tucker graduated in 1772, entered the bar, and began practicing law in Williamsburg, Virginia. During the American Revolution, he served with distinction at the battle of Guilford Court House and at the siege of Yorktown. Tucker returned to his law practice and in 1788 was appointed as a judge of the General Court of Virginia. In 1800, he was appointed a professor of law at William and Mary. Tucker was appointed to the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals in 1803 and served until he resigned in 1811. President James Madison (1751-1836) appointed Tucker to the Federal District Court for the District of Virginia in 1813 and he served until he resigned for reasons of health in 1827. Tucker married first, Frances Bland Randolph (d. 1788), the widow of John Randolph of Matoax in Chesterfield County, Virginia. He became the step-father of John Randolph of Roanoke (1773-1833). Tucker and his wife had three children including Henry St. George Tucker (1780-1848) and Nathaniel Beverley Tucker (1784-1851). After the death of his first wife, Tucker married Lelia Skipwith Carter (1768- 1837) 19 October 1791. Tucker died 10 November 1827 in Nelson County, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of St. George Tucker account book, 1783-1823
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work St. George Tucker account book, 1783-1823
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/m6YMRu_k1cA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/m6YMRu_k1cA/">St. George Tucker account book, 1783-1823</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...