The Resource Littlebury Woodson Allen diary, 1863-1864
- Littlebury Woodson Allen diary, 1863-1864
- Inclusive dates
- Diary, covering the period 18 November 1863 to 17 March 1864, of Littlebury Woodson Allen (1803-1871), while he was a prisoner of war being held at Johnson's Island, Ohio and Point Lookout, Maryland. In his daily entries, Allen writes about the justness of the Confederate cause, his patriotism, family news, reasons for joining the army, prison conditions, lack of rations and water, mail deliveries, weather observations, illnesses and deaths of fellow prisoners, battle news and Confederate victories, preaching to fellow inmates, his opinions of various army officers, prison administrators, and Presidents Davis and Lincoln, attempted prison escapes, news from Union newspapers he reads, and rumors of prisoner exchanges. Allen also provides descriptions of the layout of both prisons. There is also a plan of escape written by him following the diary, as well as some letters written by his wife Ann Martin Allen
- Biographical or historical data
- Littlebury Woodson Allen was born 26 March 1803 in Henrico County, Virginia, to Littlebury Allen (ca. 1770-1832) and Jane Austin Allen (ca. 1774-1822). He became a captain in the Virginia militia. In 1835, Allen became a Baptist minister, serving first a church in Mathews County, Virginia, second as a supply pastor for a church in Louisville, Kentucky, then finally as the preacher for County Line and Bethany Churches in Caroline County, Virginia. Allen served as a captain in the 24th Virginia Cavalry during the Civil War, and he was captured and held at Fort Norfolk, Fort McHenry, Johnson’s Island, and Point Lookout. Allen married first Ann Price Bradley (1813-1833), and they had one child who died young; he married second Ann Martin (1819-1865), and they had at least three children; and he married third Lucy Martin (d. 1905), and they had no children. Allen died at his home Applewood 20 December 1871, and was buried in the family cemetery there.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Littlebury Woodson Allen diary, 1863-1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Littlebury Woodson Allen diary, 1863-1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/m6vsK1Prscw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/m6vsK1Prscw/">Littlebury Woodson Allen diary, 1863-1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...