The Resource Agents of the Commonwealth, : accounts and correspondence, 1821-1844
- Agents of the Commonwealth, : accounts and correspondence, 1821-1844
- Title remainder
- accounts and correspondence
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Officers of State Government - Agents. General Records
- The accounts contain the names of persons from whom payments were owed, the amounts, and the dates paid. Records cover the following dates: 1820-1831, 1835-1837, 1844 and n.d
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session begun in December 1818 the General Assembly passed an act concerning the sale of land for the recovery of debts due the commonwealth. The act stipulated that whenever land owned by public debtors went unsold for lack of bidders, the governor should appoint an agent in each county to purchase the land for the commonwealth. The agent then would sell the land at whatever time and price he thought best.
- On 28 February 1821 the General Assembly passed an act further defining the role of land agents, requiring them to superintend the collection of debts due the commonwealth and to arrange for debtors to pay installments. When sheriffs failed to collect taxes, the agents assumed this duty. The auditor of public accounts reported annually to the General Assembly concerning the agents and their functions.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 266
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Agents of the Commonwealth, : accounts and correspondence, 1821-1844
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Agents of the Commonwealth, : accounts and correspondence, 1821-1844
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/mT2eVlF0OBY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/mT2eVlF0OBY/">Agents of the Commonwealth, : accounts and correspondence, 1821-1844</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...