The Resource Henry Phillips collection of translations of poems, ca. 1883
- Henry Phillips collection of translations of poems, ca. 1883
- Inclusive dates
- ca. 1883
- Collection of poems, ca. 1883, translated by Henry Phillips (1838-1895) of Philadelphia, from various languages, including French, German, Spanish, and Italian. The dates on the poems range from 1875 to 1883
- Biographical or historical data
- Henry Phillips was born in Philadelphia on 6 September 1838. He was well known for his studies in folklore, philology, and numismatics, both in the United States and in Europe. Two gold medals were conferred upon him by Italian societies for his writings. He was treasurer (1862) and secretary (1868) of the Numismatic and Antiquarian Society of Philadelphia, and a secretary (from 1880) and the librarian (from 1885) of the American Philosophical Society, as well as member of many other learned societies at home and abroad. Phillips' works on the paper currency of the American colonies and on American continental money were the first on those subjects. His works have been cited by the Unid States Supreme Court in a decision on the "Legal Tender Cases." Among his writings are: "History of American Colonial Paper Currency" (1865); "History of American Continental Paper Money" (1866); Pleasures of Numismatic Science" (1867); "Poems from the Spanish and German" (1878); "Faust" (1881); and four volumes of translations from the Spanish, Hungarian, and German. He died in June 1895.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Henry Phillips collection of translations of poems, ca. 1883
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Henry Phillips collection of translations of poems, ca. 1883
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ml9ARGwo5nc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/ml9ARGwo5nc/">Henry Phillips collection of translations of poems, ca. 1883</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...