The Resource Cary Whitaker diary, 1864
- Cary Whitaker diary, 1864
- Inclusive dates
- Diary, 7 May - 25 August 1864, of Cary Whitaker (1832-1865), while he was commanding Company D of the 43rd North Carolina Infantry. This item is a transcription of the original. Topics include the movement of his regiment and other units, skirmishes, weather conditions, numbers and names of those wounded and killed in action, constructing breastworks, and the various locations his troops were headquartered, including Harper's Ferry, in the Shenandoah Valley, Martinsburg, Winchester, Berryville, Strasburg, as well as in Maryland and Washington, D.C
- Biographical or historical data
- Cary Whitaker was born on 1 January 1832. He was the son of Dr. Cary Whitaker (1782-1858) and Martha Susan Baker (d. 1836). He enlisted on 19 April 1861, and was mustered into service as a third lieutenant in the North Carolina 1st Volunteers Infantry. He was promoted to first lieutenant on 22 October 1861. Whitaker reenlisted on 2 April 1862, and was mustered into the 43rd North Carolina Infantry. He died on 21 April 1865 at a hospital in Danville, Virginia of wounds he received in action. He is buried at Whitaker's Chapel, near Enfield, Halifax County, North Carolina.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Cary Whitaker diary, 1864
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Cary Whitaker diary, 1864
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/n0UOURgIHKc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/n0UOURgIHKc/">Cary Whitaker diary, 1864</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...