The Resource Business Records, 1889-1896
- Business Records, 1889-1896
- Inclusive dates
- General stores. -- Virginia | Scott County
- R. L. Davidson and Brother (Scott County, Va.)
- Consumer goods -- Virginia | Scott County
- Barter. -- Virginia | Scott County
- Dry-goods -- Virginia | Scott County
- Daybooks -- Virginia | Scott County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Scott County
- Bankbooks -- Virginia | Scott County
- Ledgers (account books) -- Virginia | Scott County
- Business records -- Virginia | Scott County
- Scott County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- The business records of R. L. Davidson and Brother consist of two ledgers, four daybooks, and a bank and receipt book
- Two ledgers, 1889-1896, identified on the covers as Book 1, 1889-1895, and Book 2, 1889-1896, that record the individual accounts of customers. Each account lists transactions in chronological order. Information found in ledgers include date of transaction, items purchased, quantity of items purchased, form of payment, amount owed, and amount paid. Items sold include dry-goods, jars, spices, food, oysters, lamp oil, castor oil, and clothing. Forms of payments include cash, credit, labor, and barter of items such as cabbage, musk melons, chickens, and meal. Book 2 includes an index that lists in alphabetical order the names of customers and the page numbers where their accounts can be found in both books. Information entered in ledgers were transferred from corresponding daybooks. Both ledgers are in poor condition due to damaged spines
- Four daybooks, 1891-1894, records transactions as they occurred on a daily basis. Information found in each entry includes date of transaction, name of customer, items purchased, quantity of items purchased, form of payment, amount owed, and amount paid. Information in daybooks were transferred to corresponding ledgers
- Bank and receipt book, 1889-1894, records transactions made by R. L. Davidson and Brother with the Bank of Estillville, later renamed the Bank of Gate City. It lists in chronological order money deposited an withdrawn by R. L. Davidson and Brother. Information found in the transactions includes the names of individuals and businesses R. L. Davidson and Brother paid checks to. The first five pages of the volume records the accounts of individuals paying rent for housing and property to R. L. Davidson and Brother
- Biographical or historical data
- R. L. Davidson and Brother was a general store that conducted business in Scott County, Virginia during the late nineteenth century. The co-partnership was formed by Robert L. Davidson and his brother William D. Davidson on August 1, 1889 in the town of Estilleville, now Gate City, Virginia. The co-partnership was dissolved in July 6, 1896, due to a falling out between the two brothers over Robert`s personal misconduct.
- The volumes were used as exhibits as part of the deposition of W. D. Davidson in the chancery cause R. L. Davidson versus W. D. Davidson, heard in the Circuit Court of Scott County. The two ledgers identified as Book 1 and Book 2 were labelled "Exhibit E" and "Exhibit F." The four daybooks were were assigned exhibit numbers "4," "7," "8," and "13." The bank and receipt book was labelled "Exhibit A."
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- For additional information see the Scott County Chancery Cause, R. L. Davidson versus W. D. Davidson. It can be found in the Local Records Collection at the Library of Virginia. The index number is 1903-004.
ContextContext of Business Records, 1889-1896
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Business Records, 1889-1896
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/n0xnYwt1RY0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/n0xnYwt1RY0/">Business Records, 1889-1896</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...