The Resource 1779 May 12
- 1779 May 12
- Inclusive dates
- 1779 May 12
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Slaves -- Virginia | Portsmouth
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Williamsburg
- Letters (correspondence)
- Great Britain
- Governors -- Maryland -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Governors -- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Johnson, Thomas, 1732-1819
- Portsmouth (Va.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Letter, 12 May 1779, from Patrick Henry (1736-1799), Governor of Virginia, to Thomas Johnstone (Johnson) (1732-1819), Governor of Maryland, informing him that Portsmouth, Virginia, has been lost to the British Army. Henry states that he does not know how many slaves were lost to the British. He states the enemy landed at least 600 men and that Virginia troops are retreating towards Great Bridge
- Additional physical form
- This letter is reproduced in OFFICIAL LETTERS OF THE GOVERNORS OF THE STATE OF VIRGINIA, edited by H.R. McIlwaine (Richmond : Virginia State Library, 1926), I: 367-368.
- Biographical or historical data
- Patrick Henry was born 29 May 1736 in Hanover County, Virginia, to John and Sara Winston Henry. He served as a delegate to the Continental Congress and Virginia Convention, governor of Virginia 1776-1779, 1784- 1786, and delegate to the Virginia Constitution Ratification Convention, 1788. He was married to Sarah Shelton and Dorothea Dandridge. He died 6 June 1799 at his home on Red Hill Plantation, Charlotte County, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- The location of the original, as of 1926, was at the Rosenbach Company, 273 Madison Avenue, New York, New York.
ContextContext of 1779 May 12
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1779 May 12
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/nA1K3zGvuTE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/nA1K3zGvuTE/">1779 May 12</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...