The Resource 1934 Mar. 31
- 1934 Mar. 31
- Inclusive dates
- 1934 Mar. 31
- Thomas, Elizabeth Gray Valentine, 1902-1947
- Charles City County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Personal papers -- Virginia | Charles City County
- Spring. -- Virginia | Charles City County
- Tyler, Lyon Gardiner, 1853-1935
- Museums -- Virginia | Richmond
- Letters (correspondence)
- Valentine Museum
- Letter, 31 March 1934, from Lyon Gardiner Tyler (1853-1935) of Charles City County, Virginia, to Elizabeth Gray Valentine Thomas (1902-1947) of Richmond, Virginia, thanking her for her letter, stating that his health is improving, discussing his poem "Katherine, my Valentine" in regards to her, stating that Spring is coming, and that when he's well enough he will visit her at the Valentine Museum
- Biographical or historical data
- Lyon Gardiner Tyler was born 24 August 1853 at Sherwood Forest in Charles City County, Virginia, to John Tyler (1790-1862) and Julia Gardiner Tyler (1820-1889). He received his BA in 1874 and his MA in 1875, both from the University of Virginia. He taught school in Memphis, Tennessee, from 1878 to 1882, then settled in Richmond, Virginia, where he practiced law for six years. Elected to the House of Delegates in 1887, Tyler lobbied for state support for the College of William and Mary which had fallen on hard times. After he was successful, Tyler was appointed president of the school, serving from 1888 to 1919. Tyler also served as a member of the State Library Board from 1914 to 1934, and was chairman from 1925 to 1934. Tyler was a historian and author, writing many books about Virginia history and his own family. Tyler established the WILLIAM & MARY QUARTERLY in 1892 and TYLER'S QUARTERLY HISTORICAL AND GENEALOGICAL MAGAZINE in 1919. He married first Anne Baker Tucker (1855-1921) 14 November 1878 and married second Susan Ruffin (1889-1953) 12 September 1923. He had three children by each wife. Tyler died at his home "Lion's Den" in Charles City County 12 February 1935, and was buried in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of originals duplicates
- Original located in Ripples of Rhyme by Lyon Gardiner Tyler (call number PS3539 Y5 R5 1933 copy 2) in Special Collections, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.
ContextContext of 1934 Mar. 31
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1934 Mar. 31
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/nIXViCAD5Ng/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/nIXViCAD5Ng/">1934 Mar. 31</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...