The Resource 1860-1880
- Inclusive dates
- Business records
- Gill, E. H, b. 1805
- Railroads -- Virginia -- Finances
- American Telegraph Company
- Richmond and Petersburg Railroad Company
- Ellis, Charles, 1817-1900
- Wynne, Thos. H., (Thomas Hicks), 1820-1875
- Railroads -- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Letters (correspondence)
- Bridges. -- Virginia | Petersburg
- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Records, 1860-1880, largely composed of correspondence, of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad Company. A majority of the correspondence is addressed to company officials, chief among them Thomas H. Wynne (1820-1875), E.H. Gill (b. 1805), and Charles Ellis (1817-1900). Topics include queries regarding jobs, rates and routes, free passes, and lost luggage; transport of troops and supplies for the Confederacy during the Civil War; financial matters, including company stock and bonds; a 26 Sept. 1865 proposal regarding repairs to the Pocahontas Bridge in Petersburg; and inquiries from telegraph companies hoping to run their lines along railroad property. One such request, made by the American Telegraph Company in July 1865, includes a plea for special consideration given the company's fair treatment of Southern stockholders during the war. Other records include scattered receipts and an October 1863 table of freight rates
- Biographical or historical data
- The Richmond and Petersburg Railroad Company was chartered by an act of the General Assembly on 14 March 1836 and completed on 17 September 1838. The line ran from Richmond to Petersburg, Virginia. In 1898, by an act of the Assembly, the company consolidated with the Petersburg Railroad Company to form the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of 1860-1880
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1860-1880
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/nmf-Yoe8IKk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/nmf-Yoe8IKk/">1860-1880</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...