The Resource 1861
- Inclusive dates
- Confederate States of America
- Confederate States of America -- Officers Appointments and retirements
- Personal papers -- Virginia
- Military commissions
- Forrest, French
- Virginia -- Officers Appointments and retirements
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Military commissions, 1861, of French Forrest (1796-1866), consisting of: commission, 19 April 1861, to Forrest from Governor John Letcher (1813-1884) appointing Forrest a captain in the Virginia Navy, and commission, 11 June 1861, to Forrest from Stephen R. Mallory (1813-1873), Secretary of the Navy for the Confederate States of America, appointing Forrest a captain in the Confederate Navy. The commission from the Confederate Navy includes a notation by Forrest that he had written an acceptance of the commission, but that it had been mislaid
- Biographical or historical data
- French Forrest (1796-1866) was born in St. Marys County, Maryland in 1796. On 9 June 1811 he was appointed midshipman in the United States Navy. Forrest was promoted to lieutenant 5 March 1817 and commander 9 February 1837. On March 30, 1844 he was commissioned captain in the U.S. Navy and held that rank until he received a commission from the state of Virginia 19 April 1861. Forrest then received a commission in the Confederate Navy 11 June 1861. He commanded the Norfolk Navy yard and Station from April 1861-March 1862, served as chief of the bureau of orders and detail, 1862-1863, and commanded the James River Squadron, 1863-1864. Forrest was paroled 28 April 1865 at Greensboro, North Carolina. Forrest died 22 November 1866.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Military commissions
- Location of other archival material
- Forrest Family Daybook, 1845-1899 (LVA accession 26387, miscellaneous microfilm 884).
- French Forrest Order Books, 1861-1862 (LVA accession 24768).
- French Forrest Letter Books, 1863-1864 (LVA accession 24769).
ContextContext of 1861
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1861
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/nz5BkvW189E/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/nz5BkvW189E/">1861</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...