The Resource Impressed property claims certificates, 1780-1783
- Impressed property claims certificates, 1780-1783
- Inclusive dates
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Administration of State Government: Military Expenditures - Public Claims. Impressed Property Claims
- This series consists of the certificates issued by commissioners of the provision law to persons whose property was impressed for public use. The front of each certificate includes the date, a description of the item impressed (including weight or quantity), its value, and the name of the person from whom it was taken. The reverse of the certificate often contains an assignment of the right to reimbursement signed by the original owner
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) (Search as Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928))
- Additional physical form
- 27 negative photostat volumes reproducing the fronts of the certificates are available in the Archives Reading Room.
- 11 reels of microfilm including all information are also available.
- Biographical or historical data
- During its session begun in May 1780 the General Assembly passed an act authorizing the governor to impress supplies needed by the American army. The governor appointed commissioners of the provision law in each locality to carry out the terms of the act. The commissioner, when he impressed property, gave the owner a certificate describing what was taken. Between 1781 and 1783 county courts held special sessions at which certificates were presented and authenticated, and booklets listing authenticated certificates were compiled and sent to Richmond for settlement. Two commissioners appointed to settle the claims recorded those for which they authorized payment, and warrants were issued by the auditor of public accounts.
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 241
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Impressed property claims certificates, 1780-1783
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Impressed property claims certificates, 1780-1783
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/oDGV5Q0nzjE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/oDGV5Q0nzjE/">Impressed property claims certificates, 1780-1783</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...