The Resource Nelson County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1808-1912
- Nelson County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1808-1912
- Inclusive dates
- Plats -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Land records -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Nelson County (Va.) -- Geneology
- Equity. -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Nelson County (Va.)
- Local government records -- Virginia | Nelson County
- African Americans -- History
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Marriage licenses -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Wills -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Nelson County (Va.) -- History
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Nelson County
- Nelson County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1808-1912, are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, slave records, business records, marriage records and vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted on the main folder for the cause, as are wills
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality's history
- In addition, chancery causes for Nelson County may reference or contain documents from the following counties and cities in Virginia: Amherst, Albemarle, Augusta, Bedford, Buckingham, Goochland, Highland and King William counties and the cities of Lynchburg and Richmond
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (Nelson County). Browse search: Nelson County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Nelson County was formed in 1807 from Amherst County. The county was named for Thomas Nelson, Jr., governor of Virginia from June to November 1781.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Nelson County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- Additional unprocessed Nelson County Chancery Causes, 1913-1966, can be found at the Library of Virginia.
- See the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia's web site for the chancery records of other Virginia localities.
- For a list of old chancery causes dismissed from the docket as ended causes, see Nelson County Chancery Order Books U (1955, 1958), pages 96, 399-400 and V (1964), pages 241-243.
ContextContext of Nelson County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1808-1912
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Nelson County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1808-1912
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/oPZU_hZpfdE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/oPZU_hZpfdE/">Nelson County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1808-1912</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...