The Resource Agency history of the Virginia Land Office Deputy Register
- Agency history of the Virginia Land Office Deputy Register
- The records of the Deputy Register are part of the Virginia Land Office. Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Land Office (Search Virginia Land Office as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The act that established the Land Office in 1779, provided for a Register to be at the head, to carry out the procedure for obtaining waste and unappropriated lands. During the first years of operation, the Land Office was mainly concerned with issuing warrants for military bounty and satisfying claims originating under the colonial government. Since much of the available land was located in Kentucky, the Register was authorized to appoint a Deputy in November, 1781. The Deputy was to reside in Kentucky and conduct the business of the Land Office from that location. He was directed to send the papers submitted to his office to Richmond semiannually.
- In December 1791, the Deputy Register was instructed to retain all papers which had been submitted for grants in Kentucky. A year later, after Kentucky achieved statehood, the Register was ordered to return plats on Kentucky lands for which titles had not been issued. In November 1793, the General Assembly ordered the Register to deliver to a Kentucky representative all original papers relative to titles to lands in that new state.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Agency history of the Virginia Land Office Deputy Register
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Agency history of the Virginia Land Office Deputy Register
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/oV6hwwxVmnQ/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/oV6hwwxVmnQ/">Agency history of the Virginia Land Office Deputy Register</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...