The Resource 1815-1824
- Inclusive dates
- Family papers -- England
- Personal papers
- Dunmore family
- Murray family
- Lee, Henry, 1756-1818
- Claims against decendents' estates -- Virginia
- Letters (correspondence)
- Dunmore, John Murray, Earl of, 1732-1809
- Decedents' estates
- Virginia -- History -- 18th Century
- Powers of attorney
- Dunmore, George Murray, Earl of
- Murray, Virginia, Lady
- Papers, 1815-1824, of the Murray family of England. These papers concern an alleged claim of Virginia Murray against the state of Virginia and the efforts of both Virginia and George Murray to recover land in the United States owned by their father, John Murray, Fourth Earl of Dunmore. The claim involves a supposed promise made by the Virginia assembly, to pay John Murray if he named his child Virginia in honor of the state
- Includes: correspondence to Thomas Jefferson, dated 3 December 1815, and James Monroe, dated 28 May 1824, from Virginia Murray, concerning her appeal to the state of Virginia; a copy of the memorial of Lady Virginia Murray to the State Assembly of Virginia, dated 28 May 1824; and documents conveying power of attorney of George and Virginia Murray to William Service in England and John Service in Charleston, South Carolina, dated 14 December 1824. Also includes correspondence, 1818-1824, from George Murray Dunmore, regarding claims to land in Virginia
- Additional physical form
- These papers are printed in the William and Mary College Quarterly, First Series, Vol. XXIV. No. 2 (October 1915), p. 85-101.
- Biographical or historical data
- Virginia Murray was the daughter of John Murray, 4th Earl of Dunmore (1732-1809), last royal governor of Virginia, 1771-1775.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
ContextContext of 1815-1824
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1815-1824
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/p9cgtKANTvg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/p9cgtKANTvg/">1815-1824</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...