The Resource John Clifford Pemberton correspondence, 1862-1863
- John Clifford Pemberton correspondence, 1862-1863
- Inclusive dates
- Correspondence, 1862-1863, of Confederate General John C. Pemberton (1814-1881), chiefly concerning the availability of food supplies and munitions, as well as movements and actions of the Union Army in the vicinity of Vicksburg, Mississippi. Correspondents include Confederate Secretary of War James A. Seddon (1815-1880). The letters, which end just prior to the Siege of Vicksburg, are handwritten copies. This collection is located on frames 208-239 of the reel
- Biographical or historical data
- John C. Pemberton was promoted to lieutenant general on 10 October 1862 and assigned to defend the fortress city of Vicksburg, Mississippi, and the Mississippi River. The Union Army, under the command of Major General Ulysses S. Grant, began a siege of Vicksburg in May 1863. Pemberton held out for over six weeks before surrendering on 4 July 1863, resulting in a major strategic loss for the Confederacy. After his surrender, Pemberton was exchanged as a prisoner and returned to duty, but he voluntarily resigned his general's commission and served as a lieutenant colonel of artillery for the remainder of the war.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of John Clifford Pemberton correspondence, 1862-1863
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work John Clifford Pemberton correspondence, 1862-1863
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pB60PPykmGk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pB60PPykmGk/">John Clifford Pemberton correspondence, 1862-1863</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...