The Resource 1750-1868
- Inclusive dates
- Executors and administrators -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Hanover County (Va.)
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Public records -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Courts of chancery -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Marriage -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Decisions. -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Estate settlement costs -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Hanover County (Va.) -- History
- Estate inventories -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Clerks of court -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Equity. -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Slaves -- United States
- Marriage licenses -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Slaves -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Wills -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Claims against decedents' estates. -- Virginia | Hanover County
- Records, 1750-1868, of Hanover County Circuit Court consist of papers related to fiduciary records (undated, 1750, 1753-1786, 1797, 1829, 1830, 1854, 1860), wills (1777, 1779, 1783, 1795, 1797, 1800, 1806, 1815, 1820, 1823, 1824, 1842, 1843, 1849, 1858), chancery papers (undated, 1807, 1822, 1823, 1825, 1835, 1845), judgments (1792, 1794, 1803, 1862), marriage licenses (1816-1817, 1831-1835, 1838-1847), sheriffs' records (1807), clerks' records (1783, 1817, 1827, 1868), land records (1806, 1829), free negro and slave records (1791), and tax and fiscal records (1798, 1804, 1813.)
- Wills found in collection include Elisabeth Elmore, 1783 (Includes related fiduciary records such as an inventory and estate accounts); Susanna Crenshaw, 1779; Joshua Acree, 1777; Daniel Dejarnatt, 1795; Joseph Cross, 1797; John Richardson, 1800 (Includes miscellaneous court documents related to claims against the estate.); Pittman Kidd, 1806; John Oliver, 1815. (Includes related fiduciary records such as an inventory and administrator bond.); Mary Ann Jones, 1829; John P. Brock, 1823; John Cross, 1823; Moses White, 1842; Reuben Gardner, 1843; Richard H. Johnson, 1849; Spotswood Childress, 1858; Thomas Acree, 1858 (Includes related fiduciary records such as an appraisement and administrator account.)
- Chancery papers found in this collection include a transcript of the suit Dudley Richardson and wife and others versus the Executors of John Anderson, 1823 (Includes a transcript of John Anderson's will, 1800); a transcript of the suit Betty Ellis and others versus the Administrator of David Richardson and others, 1807; copy of the amended bill in the suit Kent, Paine, and Company versus the Executors of Philip H. Jones, undated; copy of bill, answer, and plea in the suit John M. Price versus James Corbett and others, 1823; transcript of the suit Mary Boaze and others versus the Administrator of Thomas Boaze and others, 1825; copy of decree in the suit of George N. Clough and wife and others versus the Executor of Benjamin Timberlake, 1845; and the answer of John W. Page in the suit of Toler versus Toler, 1835
- Land records found in this collection include the following: Deed - George Harris and wife to Jesse Crew, 1806. Torn deed between John P. Parsley and William Gaulding, 1829
- Free negro and slave records found in this collection include a bond related to the hire of a female slave in 1791
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Hanover County was formed from New Kent County in 1720.
- Most county court records, particularly deeds, wills, and marriage records, were destroyed by fire in Richmond on 3 April 1865, where they had been moved for safekeeping during the Civil War. The circuit court records were not moved to Richmond and were relatively unscathed. Consequently, there is a strong run of common law papers and chancery papers after 1831 that were generated by the circuit superior court of law and chancery and its successor, the circuit court.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
- Location of other archival material
- Hanover County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Hanover County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Digital Collection.
ContextContext of 1750-1868
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1750-1868
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pCGndymUoGA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pCGndymUoGA/">1750-1868</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...