The Resource Written Advices of the Virginia Council of State, 1832-1851
- Written Advices of the Virginia Council of State, 1832-1851
- Inclusive dates
- Contains written advices submitted to the governor by the Virginia Council of State. Each advice is usually dated and often features the name of the particular council member who authored the opinion. The advices vary in length and contain the Council's opinion on many issues including nominations and appointments, elections, the payment of fees to government officials for services rendered, and recommendations for clemency
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Council of State. (Search author as Virginia Council of State).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Council of State was established by the constitution adopted on June 29, 1776, to assist the governor in the administration of the government. The council members were elected by the General Assembly rather than appointed by the governor. By the middle of the nineteenth century, however, the need for a stronger chief executive had become evident. The new constitution adopted in 1851 made no provision for an advisory council, and on January 15, 1852, the Council of state adjourned for the last time.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Written Advices of the Virginia Council of State, 1832-1851
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Written Advices of the Virginia Council of State, 1832-1851
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pFkAEDWOTJg/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pFkAEDWOTJg/">Written Advices of the Virginia Council of State, 1832-1851</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...