The Resource Charles Lewis journal, 1755
- Charles Lewis journal, 1755
- Inclusive dates
- Journal, 10 October-27 December 1755, of Capt. Charles Lewis (ca. 1729-1770) of "Cedar Creek," Caroline County, Virginia, while he was serving with the Virginia regiment in the expedition against the French. This item is a transcription of the original. The journal begins with his regiment, commanded by Major Andrew Lewis (1720-1781), leaving Fredericksburg and marching to Winchester, and then to Fort Cumberland in Maryland. Lewis notes the length of the march each day, places quartered, weather conditions and observations on the landscape, hunting outings and excursions to gather corn, and graphic descriptions of Indian massacres and scalpings. The journal ends with his taking command at Fort Ashby in present-day Mineral County, West Virginia. The journal was transcribed by William L. Lewis, and edited by Robert Alonzo Brock, and includes a list of officers and ranks belonging to the Virginia regiment commanded by George Washington
- Biographical or historical data
- Charles Lewis was born on 25 February 1729 in Gloucester County, Virginia. He was the son of John Lewis and Frances Fielding of "Warner Hall." He married Lucy Taliaferro, and they later moved to Caroline County. Lewis was vestryman of St. Mary's Parish, justice of the peace, and a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses for Caroline County. He died ca. 1770 in Port Royal, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Charles Lewis journal, 1755
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Charles Lewis journal, 1755
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pTxUApcWp7Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pTxUApcWp7Q/">Charles Lewis journal, 1755</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Processing Feedback ...