The Resource Map of Westmoreland State Park, Westmoreland County, Virginia, 1937
- Map of Westmoreland State Park, Westmoreland County, Virginia, 1937
- Inclusive dates
- This accession consists of a single sheet map depicting Westmoreland State Park in Westmoreland County, Virginia. David G. Holland, Surveyor, executed the drawing which shows contiguous landowners, monuments (markers), stakes, roads, trails, and water courses
- Agency history record (0007-65760) describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of Conservation and Recreation. (Search as a/Virginia Dept. of Conservation and Recreation).
- Biographical or historical data
- Westmoreland State Park is one of the six original Virginia state parks opened in June 1936. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a Depression-era public works project aimed at employing city youths while simultaneously spurring economic recovery, developed the park, along with Douthat, Fairy Stone, Hungry Mother, Seashore (now First Landing), and Staunton River. About two million young men took part nationwide in the CCC during the 1930s. By the program's end in 1942, more than 100,000 CCC men in Virginia had built 986 bridges, planted more than 15 million trees, strung more than 2000 miles of telephone line, and stocked rivers and streams with more than 1 million fish. The nation's first camp, Camp Roosevelt, opened at Luray, Virginia, near Massanutten Mountain in the George Washington National Forest in May 1933. The Forest Service (in the U.S. Department of Agriculture) and the Park Service (in the U.S. Department of the Interior) used CCC workers all over the commonwealth on such projects as the Skyline Drive and Colonial Parkway as well as erosion prevention and reforestation schemes.
ContextContext of Map of Westmoreland State Park, Westmoreland County, Virginia, 1937
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Map of Westmoreland State Park, Westmoreland County, Virginia, 1937
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pi1fvlMAd8M/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/pi1fvlMAd8M/">Map of Westmoreland State Park, Westmoreland County, Virginia, 1937</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...