The Resource Jackson's River Turnpike Company records, 1848-1877
- Jackson's River Turnpike Company records, 1848-1877
- Inclusive dates
- These records contain letters sent, certificate of stock subscriptions, returns of tolls, receipts, and accounts, for the years 1848, 1850-1861, 1863, 1866-1870, 1877
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly passed February 21, 1829, approved incorporation of the Jackson's River Turnpike Company, to construct a turnpike road from Warm Springs in Bath County, by way of Hot Springs, to intersect the Kanawha Turnpike at Callaghan's. Joint capital stock was set at $20,000 with the Board of Public Works authorized to subscribe to 2/5 or $8,000. February 24, 1842, the Assembly authorized the appointment of a superintendent selected by the Company. The General Assembly advised the Board to settle its account with the Company April 1, 1848, because of debts accumulated when bridges were replaced that had been carried away by a freshet in July 1842. April 7, 1858, the Board of Public Works was authorized to appoint a superintendent, being the principal stockholder. On January 13, 1877, the General Assembly authorized the Board of Public Works to sell the state's interest in the turnpike, as the stock was completely unproductive.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 289
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Jackson's River Turnpike Company records, 1848-1877
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Jackson's River Turnpike Company records, 1848-1877
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/qXx4w12CpD0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/qXx4w12CpD0/">Jackson's River Turnpike Company records, 1848-1877</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...