The Resource 1936-1941
- Inclusive dates
- Depressions -- 1929 -- United States
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Slaves -- Virginia -- Personal narratives
- Virginia -- Economic conditions -- 20th century
- Slavery -- Virginia -- History
- Virginia -- Social conditions -- 20th century
- New Deal, 1933-1939. -- Virginia
- Slaves -- Virginia -- History
- Oral histories
- Virginia -- Social life and customs -- 1900-1941
- This collection consists of over 1300 Works Progress Administration/Virginia Writers' Project life histories, social-ethnic studies and youth studies, and over 50 ex-slave interviews and a small number of folklore write-ups, all of which were created under the Work Projects Administration by the Virginia Writers' Project. The life histories, social-ethnic studies and youth studies were written between 1938 and 1941, the ex-slave interviews and folklore studies between 1936 and 1937
- Additional physical form
- Originals held by The Library of Virginia
- Biographical or historical data
- The Virginia Writers' Project (VWP) was part of the Federal Writers' Project under the Work Projects Administration. The purpose of the Writers' Project was to gather information about selected occupational groups both in a rural and urban environment. The VWP was based in Richmond, and was directed by Hamilton J. Eckenrode (October 1935-March 1937), and later by Eudora Ramsay Richardson (March 1937-June 1942).
- The Negro studies project of the VWP was in part sponsored by Hampton Institute. The project provided employment for educated blacks and collected information on black life in Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Life histories
ContextContext of 1936-1941
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1936-1941
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/qjLNFinpTTk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/qjLNFinpTTk/">1936-1941</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...