The Resource 1788-1840
- Inclusive dates
- This collection consists of the financial record books of the Dromgoole's stores at Belfast, Canaan, Oak Hill, Pleasant Grove, and Sligoe, Virginia. Accounts are recorded with individuals from Brunswick, Greensville, and Mecklenburg Counties, Virginia and from North Carolina. Invoice books contain names of numerous firms or individuals with whom Dromgoole placed his orders. All stores seem to have stocked a large selection of hardware, dry goods, groceries, cutlery, and china.
- Biographical or historical data
- Edward Dromgoole, Sr. (1751-1835) came from Ireland to Maryland in 1770. He served in various parts of Virginia as a traveling minister. Upon his marriage to Rebecca Walton (1753-1826) he settled in Brunswick County, Virginia in 1786, where he became a successful planter and merchant. He continued as an active local preacher on the Brunswick and later the Greensville circuits.
- Dromgoole's children were Edward Dromgoole, Jr. (1788-1840), physician, planter, merchant, and Methodist minister of Brunswick County; Mary (d. 1835); Rebecca; Richard; and Thomas, who was also a Methodist minister. Another son, George Coke Dromgole (1797-1847), was a member of the Virginia House and Senate. He served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1835 through 1841, and from 1843 until his death.
- Family mercantile operations appear to have been directed from a store at Canaan in Brunswick County, Virginia, with branch stores designated as Belfast, Oak Hill, Pleasant Grove, and Sligoe. These place names have not been definitely located on contemporary maps.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Edwards, Conley L., III et al., comps. A Guide To Business Records In The Virginia State Library And Archives. Richmond : Virginia State Library and Archives, 1994
- Form designation
- Dromgoole family records
- Summary expansion
- Records of the various stores include daybooks, journals, ledgers, as well as arithmetic ciphering and exercise books of Asbury and George C. Dromgoole
ContextContext of 1788-1840
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1788-1840
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/qpwkVW0podY/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/qpwkVW0podY/">1788-1840</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...