The Resource Frederick County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1812-1836
- Frederick County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1812-1836
- Inclusive dates
- Military pensions. -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Veterans. -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Declarations -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Frederick County (Va.)
- Frederick County (Va.) -- History
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Affidavits -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Frederick County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1812-1836, predominantly consists of declarations of Revolutionary War veterans seeking to obtain pensions under an acts of Congress passed 1818 March 18, 1820 May 1, and and 1832 June 7. The applicants present testimony of their time of service during the Revolutionary War. Information generally found in the declarations include date and location applicants entered into service, names of military companies they served in, names of military commanders they served under, names of fellow soldiers they served with, length of service, their age, and their place of birth. The predominant portion of the declarations are narratives of their tours of duty during the Revolutionary War with emphasis on battles they fought. The declarations may include affidavits from witnesses who could verify information provided by applicants
- The collection also includes certificates of Revolutionary War service that include names of heirs. They may also include a schedule of veteran's property and names of heirs
- Biographical or historical data
- Frederick County was was named in honor of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales and eldest son of King George II. It was formed from Orange County by a statute of 1738 that stipulated that when the population was large enough the new county government would begin to function. The county court first met on 11 November 1743. Part of Augusta County was added in 1754. The county seat is the city of Winchester.
- On 1832 June 7, Congress enacted pension legislation extending benefits more universally than under any previous legislation. This act provided for full pay for life for all officers and enlisted men who served at least 2 years in the Continental Line, the state troops or militia, the navy or marines. Men who served less than 2 years but at least 6 months were granted pensions of less than full pay. Benefits were payable effective March 4, 1831, without regard to financial need or disability and widows or children of Revolutionary War veterans were entitled to collect any unpaid benefits due from the last payment to a veteran until his death.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Frederick County Military and Pension Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm"
ContextContext of Frederick County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1812-1836
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Frederick County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1812-1836
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/qzQI6BHgPu8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/qzQI6BHgPu8/">Frederick County (Va.) Revolutionary War Pension Records, 1812-1836</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...