The Resource Warren County (Va.) Land Records, 1788-1937 (bulk 1836-1937)
- Warren County (Va.) Land Records, 1788-1937 (bulk 1836-1937)
- Inclusive dates
- 1788-1937 (bulk 1836-1937)
- Warren County (Va.) Land Records, 1788-1937 (bulk 1836-1937) includes Index to Deeds, 1839-1901 circa, A-C; Index to Deeds, 1839-1901 circa, D-J; Index to Deeds, 1839-1901 circa, K-R; Index to Deeds, 1839-1901 circa, S-Z; General Index to Deeds,1839-1923; Records of Releases; List of Conveyances; List of Conveyances Posted Monthly; Conveyances Admitted to Record in the Clerk's Office of the Warren County Court; County Land Records; lose deeds from Deed Books A-D and Deed Books 15-42; Old Deeds-Bill of Sale Agreements; Plats and Surveys made by the county surveyor; Release Deeds; Plats; Grants; List of Grants; and four Deeds for land formerly in Shenandoah County
- Deeds of bargain and sale are the most commonly recorded deed in which one individual sells property, usually land, but occasionally personal property, to another individual. Such deeds show the names of the grantor and grantee, the residence of both parties, a description of what is being sold, the consideration (or price), the location of the tract of land, the tract's boundaries, and any limitations on the property being sold. The deed was signed by the grantor, and possibly his wife or anyone else having a claim to the property, and by at least two witnesses. Appended to the deed may be a memorandum of livery of seisin, stating that the property has changed hands and that peaceful possession has taken place
- Deeds of gift are often found transferring property, either real or personal, from one individual to another "for love and affection." The degree of kinship, if any, between the grantor and grantee is sometimes stated
- Mortgages and deeds of trust were deeds where one party is indebted to another and transfers or mortgages property to a third party to secure the debt. Deeds of release were made by the trustees after payment of the debt, for the purpose of divesting themselves of the legal title and revesting it in the original owner
- Surveys give the size and boundaries of a piece of real estate. They often give the names of neighboring property owners, water features, roads, paths, etc. Sometimes they just name the trees, large stones, or some other item used to denote a meeting of two boundary lines. They give the metes and bounds which are using carefully measured distances, angles, and directions, which results in what is called a "legal description" of the land. Many surveys are accompanied by a plat which is a drawing showing the boundary lines, angles, directions and other information given in the survey
- Biographical or historical data
- Warren County was named Joseph Warren, the revolutionary patriot who sent Paul Revere and William Dawes on their famous rides and who was killed at the Battle of Bunker Hill. The county was formed from Frederick and Shenandoah counties in 1836.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Warren County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
ContextContext of Warren County (Va.) Land Records, 1788-1937 (bulk 1836-1937)
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Warren County (Va.) Land Records, 1788-1937 (bulk 1836-1937)
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rDWhtBAq7QE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rDWhtBAq7QE/">Warren County (Va.) Land Records, 1788-1937 (bulk 1836-1937)</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...