The Resource Nathaniel Francis Cabell essay, 1876
- Nathaniel Francis Cabell essay, 1876
- Inclusive dates
- Essay, 1878, by Nathaniel Francis Cabell entitled "The Post Revolutionary or Modern History of Virginia as a State," includes a philosophical discussion of Virginia's history first as a colony of England then as a state in the Union. The idea of Virginia's modern history is discussed at length by Cabell where he points out that no modern history has been written, thus his paper shall serve as a provisional history. Located on microfilm frames 203-225
- Biographical or historical data
- Nathaniel Francis Cabell was born 23 July 1807 at "Warminster" in Nelson County, Virginia, to Nicholas Cabell, Jr. (1780-1809) and Margaret Read Venable Cabell (1782-1857). He graduated from Hampden Sidney College in 1825 and from Harvard in 1827. Cabell settled in Prince Edward County, Virginia, in 1827, then moved back to Nelson County in 1832, settling at the family home, "Liberty Hall." Cabell wrote and published articles on religion, education, and agriculture. He married first Anne Blaws Cocke (1811-1862), daughter of General John H. Cocke (1780-1866), 14 September 1831, and they had six children. He married second Mary M. Keller of Baltimore, Maryland. Cabell spent the last few years of his life living with one of his sons in Bedford County, Virginia, where he died 1 September 1891. Cabell was buried in the family cemetery at "Liberty Hall" in Nelson County.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of Nathaniel Francis Cabell essay, 1876
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Nathaniel Francis Cabell essay, 1876
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rVBn_KCTSbE/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rVBn_KCTSbE/">Nathaniel Francis Cabell essay, 1876</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...