The Resource William Pope Duval notes, 1845
- William Pope Duval notes, 1845
- Inclusive dates
- Notes, 1845, on a Georgia-Florida border dispute, made by William Pope Duvall (1784-1854) for an address to a Senate committee. Includes an examination of the history of the region, particularly the relevant boundary specifications made in various treaties. This collection is located on frames 146-156 of the reel
- Biographical or historical data
- William Pope Duval was born in Mount Comfort, near Richmond, Virginia, in 1784. He later moved to Kentucky and was admitted to the bar about 1804. Duval commanded a company of mounted volunteers during the Indian hostilities of 1812. He was elected as a Republican representative to the U.S. Congress, 1813-1815, after which he resumed the practice of law in Bardstown, Kentucky. On 18 May 1821, Duval was appointed a United States judge for the east Florida district. He later served as governor of the Territory of Florida, 1822-1834; was appointed law agent in Florida, 4 November 1841; and moved to Texas in 1848. Duval died in Washington, D.C., on 19 March 1854, and was buried in the Congressional Cemetery.
- Above biographical information taken from the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774-2005.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of William Pope Duval notes, 1845
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work William Pope Duval notes, 1845
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rXzefwkQxc0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rXzefwkQxc0/">William Pope Duval notes, 1845</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...