The Resource Dove family papers, 1892-1953
- Dove family papers, 1892-1953
- Inclusive dates
- Papers, 1892-1953, including correspondence and subject files, of the Dove family of Criders and Bergton, Rockingham County, Virginia, namely Elbert L. Dove (1903-1977) and his wife Zona D. (Secrist) Dove (1899-1981), and Alda Grace (Dove) Jones (1921-1990)
- The earliest letters written to Elbert L. Dove are from various female acquaintances, and were written while he was serving as a cook in lumber camps in Old Fields, Hardy County, West Virginia, and Gaithersburg, Maryland. Subjects are mainly courtship and news of mutual friends, and many of letters contain poetry verses. There are also letters written by Elbert Dove to his parents, Joseph Daniel Dove (1879-1938) and Zerna Belle Dove (1878-1940), and from his sister Wilda Dove (1902-1996). Subjects include the family farm, religious camp meetings, weather, financial matters, canning, hunting, health, and other news of family and friends. Finally, there are letters between Elbert and his wife Zona while he was a patient at Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg
- Later correspondence in the collection is between Alda Grace Dove, while she was attending school in Harrisonburg, her sister Neva A. Dove (b. ca. 1900), various male acquaintances, and Zona D. Dove. Subjects include births, marriages, and deaths in Rockingham County, schooling, weather, farming activities, and other family news
- The subject files include accounts and receipts, deeds, estate papers of Joseph D. Dove, greeting cards, insurance policies, mail order forms, poetry, suit papers, and tax tickets and receipts
- Biographical or historical data
- Joseph Daniel Dove (1879-1938) was the son of Reuben Dove (1839-1927) and Mildred Siever (1841-1918). He married Zerna Belle Dove (1878-1940) on 7 July 1901. Their son Elbert L. Dove was born 2 April 1903 in Brocks Gap, Rockingham County, Virginia. He married Zona D. Secrist (1899-1981) on 20 June 1926. Elbert L. Dove died on 2 January 1977 and is buried in Caplinger Cemetery in Rockingham County.
- Samuel Dove (1866-1937) was the son of William Dove. He married Minnie R. Secrist (1868-1975). Her sister was Dora B. Secrist (1875-1945), and their niece was Zona D. Secrist (see above). Samuel and Minnie had a son, Wilmer P. Dove (1888-1975) who married 1) Mary A. Crider and 2) Della M. Tamkin in 1928. His daughter, Alda Grace Dove (1921-1990) married Clarence Jones (1915-1983).
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Dove family papers, 1892-1953
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Dove family papers, 1892-1953
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rtF7-XQmEN0/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rtF7-XQmEN0/">Dove family papers, 1892-1953</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...