The Resource Certificates of election made in form prescribed by the ordinance, 1776 June 15
- Certificates of election made in form prescribed by the ordinance, 1776 June 15
- Inclusive dates
- 1776 June 15
- Title variation
- Revolutionary Convention Papers
- Winn, John
- Curle, William Roscow Wilson
- Newton, Thomas, 1768-1847
- State government records
- Lyne, William
- Norfolk (Va.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Tabb, John
- Virginia -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Elections. -- Virginia | Amelia County
- Elections -- Virginia | King and Queen County
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 1775-1783
- King and Queen County (Va.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Holt, James
- Resolutions -- Virginia
- Elections -- Virginia | Norfolk
- Elections -- Virginia -- 18th century
- Elections. -- Virginia | Norfolk County
- Brooke, George
- Virginia, (1776 : May 6-July 5)
- Amelia County (Va.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Constitutional conventions -- Virginia
- Norfolk County (Va.) -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783
- Contains certificates of election for individuals to serve in the General Convention. Included are certificates for King & Queen County, Amelia County, Norfolk County, & Norfolk Borough. The delegates elected to represent King & Queen County were George Brooke & William Lyne, the delegates for Amelia County were John Tabb & John Winn, the delegates for Norfolk County were James Holt & Thomas Newton, Jr., and the delegate elected to represent Norfolk Borough was William Roscow Wilson Curle. Lastly, there is a resolution regarding the the appointment of a convenient time & place for the election of delegates for the county & borough of Norfolk. This resolution aslo includes an abstract of the act for regulating the election of Burgesses and another copy of the certificate of election for Norfolk County
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Convention of 1776. (Search Virginia Convention as author).
- Additional physical form
- Microfilm available on Misc. Reel 618.
- Biographical or historical data
- The five revolutionary conventions that provided Virginians with an alternative government between August 1, 1774, and July 5, 1776, grew out of an extralegal meeting of twenty-five members of the House of Burgesses at the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg on May 30, 1774. The burgesses considered methods of protesting the closing of the port of Boston by British authorities as a punishment for the Tea Party held there in 1773. A boycott of British goods was agreed upon, and a call was issued for the full House to convene at Williamsburg on August 1, 1774, in open defiance of Lord Dunmore, the royal governor, who had prorogued the assembly. The dates of the conventions were: first, August 1-6, 1774; second, March 20-27, 1775; third, July 17-August 26, 1775; fourth, December 1, 1775-January 20, 1776; fifth, May 6-July 5, 1776. This fifth convention adjourned and was replaced the next day by the new state government organized under the Virginia Constitution of 1776.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
- Location of other archival material
- Printed texts appear in Revolutionary Virginia: the Road to Independence; a Documentary Record (Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1973-1983), 7 vols.
ContextContext of Certificates of election made in form prescribed by the ordinance, 1776 June 15
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Certificates of election made in form prescribed by the ordinance, 1776 June 15
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rtNmJu8gq9Y/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rtNmJu8gq9Y/">Certificates of election made in form prescribed by the ordinance, 1776 June 15</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...