The Resource Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Serives circular letter, 1895
- Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Serives circular letter, 1895
- Inclusive dates
- Circular letter written by Thomas Whitehead, Commissioner of Agriculture, addressed to "All Seeking Homes in Virginia." The letter was produced by the Dept. of Agriculture and describes in detail the virtues of the land, climate, and cost of living in Virginia. The letter also boasts of the good quality of people, the abundance of timber, mineral deposits, and cheap labor to be found in the state. The letter is dated 28 February 1895
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services. (Search author as Virginia Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services).
- Biographical or historical data
- On March 29, 1877, the General Assembly passed an act creating the Department of Agriculture, Mining, and Manufacturing to compile a geological handbook, analyze soils and fertilizers, dispense information to agriculturists in the state, and distribute seeds provided by the federal government. The Board of Agriculture was established by the General Assembly on March 5, 1888, to manage the department. The names Department of Agriculture and Board of Agriculture were sometimes used interchangeably. The name of the department was officially changed to the Department of Agriculture and Immigration by an act passed on February 25, 1908, and the agency was given the additional mission of promoting the immigration of farmers into the state.
- A major shift in focus occurred when, in a statewide referendum held on November 1, 1966, the voters approved a proposed constitutional amendment passed by the General Assembly on March 11 that changed the name of the department to the Department of Agriculture and Commerce. The governor issued a proclamation of the name change on November 30, 1966, and on March 4, 1971, the General Assembly passed an act codifying the change. The name of the department was changed to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services by an act passed by the General Assembly on March 24, 1978.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Serives circular letter, 1895
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Serives circular letter, 1895
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rwn5C9KLnJc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/rwn5C9KLnJc/">Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Serives circular letter, 1895</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...