The Resource Blue Ridge Turnpike Company records, 1850-1868
- Blue Ridge Turnpike Company records, 1850-1868
- Inclusive dates
- Records include letters sent, reports, lists of stockholders, and certificates of stock subscriptions, from 1851-1854, 1856, 1858-1860
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly approved March 25, 1848 authorized construction of a macadamized turnpike road between New Market in Shenandoah County to Gordonsville in Orange County, and to incorporate the Blue Ridge Turnpike Company when 1800 shares had been subscribed, on an initial capital investment of $200,000. The Board of Public Works was authorized to subscribe to 2/5 of the stock, or $80,000. Capital was increased March 3, 1851, by $50,000, with the Board of Public Works funding $30,000. The General Assembly transferred an appropriation from Madison and Page counties, giving precedence to the Blue Ridge Turnpike over construction of a road connecting the east and west base of the Blue Ridge in those counties.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 215
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Blue Ridge Turnpike Company records, 1850-1868
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Blue Ridge Turnpike Company records, 1850-1868
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/s1ZsdeLz4I8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/s1ZsdeLz4I8/">Blue Ridge Turnpike Company records, 1850-1868</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...