The Resource Newport News (Va.) Voters' Register, 1902-1903
- Newport News (Va.) Voters' Register, 1902-1903
- Inclusive dates
- Suffrage -- Virginia | Newport News
- African Americans -- Suffrage
- Election records -- Virginia | Newport News
- Newport News (Va.) -- Genealogy. -- Genealogy
- Local government records -- Virginia | Newport News
- African Americans -- History -- 1877-1964
- African Americans -- Virginia | Newport News
- Newport News (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Newport News (Va.) Circuit Court
- Voters' lists -- Virginia | Newport News
- Newport News (Va.) Voters' Register, 1902-1903, records the roll of registered voters in Newport News. The volumes are divided by wards, first through seventh, and within each ward on the basis of color. Information found in the volumes includes date of registration; number of registered voter; name of registered voter; date of birth; age; occupation; residence; length of residence in state, county, and precinct; whether exempt from poll tax; if naturalized, and if so, date of papers and by what court issued; if transferred from another precinct, and if so, when and to what precinct
- Biographical or historical data
- Newport News was located in Warwick County, which is now extinct. The origin of the name is uncertain but the phrase "Newportes News" appeared in documents as early as 1619 and probably commemorated Christopher Newport, who made five voyages to Virginia between 1607 and 1619. Newport News was a small settlement until late in the nineteenth century, when it became the eastern terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway. It was established in 1880 and incorporated as a city by act of the General Assembly in 1896 without ever having been incorporated as a town. Newport News was enlarged by consolidation with the city of Warwick in 1858.
- The 1902 voter registration books were created following the passage of the 1902 Virginia state constitution. The purpose of the 1902 state constitution was to maintain white suffrage while eliminating African-American voters by means of literacy tests as well as property and poll tax requirements.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Newport News (Va.) Voters' Register, 1902-1903
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Newport News (Va.) Voters' Register, 1902-1903
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/s3ZRBbnElG8/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/s3ZRBbnElG8/">Newport News (Va.) Voters' Register, 1902-1903</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...