The Resource Warm Springs and Harrisonburg Turnpike Company records, 1830-1901
- Warm Springs and Harrisonburg Turnpike Company records, 1830-1901
- Inclusive dates
- These records contain letters sent, field notes (1830-1832), 4 vols., maps (1832, 1844), 2 items, reports, lists of stockholders, contracts, and security bonds, for the years 1830-1859, 1865, 1867-1869, 1871, 1877-1879, 1886, 1893, 1898-1899, 1901
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Board of Public Works (search author as Virginia Board of Public Works)
- Biographical or historical data
- An act of the General Assembly, passed January 29, 1830, approved incorporation of the Warm Springs and Harrisonburg Turnpike Company to construct a turnpike road from the end of the turnpike on the eastern side of the Warm Springs mountain in Bath County, or another point, to Harrisonburg, in Rockingham County. Joint capital stock was fixed at $40,000, with the Board of Public Works subscribing to $24,000. The Board of Public Works was required to direct the principal engineer to survey and locate the road. An act approved April 8, 1839, authorized the merger of the Augusta Springs Turnpike with this company. On March 26, 1853, capital stock was increased $15,000, with the Board of Public Works subscribing to $9,000. On March 7, 1900, an act was approved to fix the rates of toll and allow the citizens of Augusta and Rockingham counties to pay an annual toll at 3/4 the usual rate, in advance, for travel or horseback riding or driving in pleasure carriages.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 415
- Citation source
- Board of Public Works inventory
ContextContext of Warm Springs and Harrisonburg Turnpike Company records, 1830-1901
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Warm Springs and Harrisonburg Turnpike Company records, 1830-1901
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/sYvGHW8lmRo/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/sYvGHW8lmRo/">Warm Springs and Harrisonburg Turnpike Company records, 1830-1901</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...