The Resource The recollections of a long life, 1879
- The recollections of a long life, 1879
- Inclusive dates
- Baptists -- Virginia
- First Baptist Church (Richmond, Va.)
- Cholera -- Virginia
- First drafts
- Richmond (Va.) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Personal papers
- Southampton Insurrection, 1831
- Baptist associations -- Virginia
- Jeter, Jeremiah Bell, 1802-1880
- Strawberry Baptist Association (Va.)
- Fashion -- History
- Manuscript drafts, 1879, of various chapters written by Jeremiah Bell Jeter (1802-1880) for his book "The Recollections of a Long Life," which was published in 1891. Topics include his reminiscences of former Baptist pastors in the Strawberry Association, past Association meetings, the Southampton Insurrection, cholera epidemic, his residence in Richmond, fashions of the times, and his thoughts on "the estimate of life."
- Biographical or historical data
- Jeremiah Bell Jeter was born in Bedford County, Virginia, on 18 July 1802. He was the son of Pleasant Jeter and Jane Eke Hatcher. Jeter was ordained a Baptist preacher in 1824, and moved to Lancaster County. Later, he preached in Richmond at the First Baptist Church and at Grace Street Baptist Church. Jeter also lived in St. Louis for a short time, where he was stationed at the Second Baptist Church. He was chief proprietor and editor of the Religious Herald while he resided in Richmond, and also wrote various memoirs and theological works. Jeter was married four times. He died on 18 February 1880.
- Cataloging source
- Funding information
- Filming funded by The Library of Virginia Foundation with the support of The Roller-Bottimore Foundation and The Robins Foundation.
- Location of originals duplicates
- The Huntington Library;
ContextContext of The recollections of a long life, 1879
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work The recollections of a long life, 1879
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/syvOexuVwhs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/syvOexuVwhs/">The recollections of a long life, 1879</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...