The Resource Virginia Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs records, 1921-2009
- Virginia Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs records, 1921-2009
- Inclusive dates
- National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs
- Women in the professions. -- Virginia -- Societies and clubs
- Organization records
- Businesswomen -- Virginia
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- Virginia
- Virginia Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs
- Women -- Employment -- Virginia
- Virginia -- History -- 20th century
- Letters (correspondence)
- Photography, Panoramic -- Virginia | Charlottesville
- Women -- Societies and clubs -- Virginia
- Agnew, Ella Graham, 1871-1958
- Annual reports
- Women. -- Political activity -- Virginia
- Records, 1921-2009, of the Virginia Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, including annual reports, bylaws, correspondence, histories, minutes, newsletters, photographs, programs, and reports. Included are copies of the newsletter, Federation Notes, 1969-2009; convention photographs, 1929-2000; minutes; annual convention programs, 1926-2009; histories of the organization and presidents; membership finances and rosters, 1996-2007; bylaws, certificates of incorporation, and rules handbooks; and emblems and organizational prayer. Similar materials, such as annual reports, can be found in several folders throughout the collection, therefore a thorough cross checking of all folders is necessary to find related materials
- The chronological files, 1968-2009, mainly contain minutes but also included are annual reports, bylaws, correspondence, finances, memoranda, memorial service programs, photographs, and reports. Of note is the correspondence detailing the closure of various chapters of the organization starting in 1999 and the dissolution of the Virginia chapter of the BPW in 2009. These files contain information on the day to day activities of the organization and works accomplished
- Of note are the files for each president of the chapter from 1919 to 1980. Included are annual reports, clippings, convention programs, correspondence, finances, biographies of the presidents, photographs, reports, and resolutions. Also of note are the photographs. 1929-2002, of annual conventions (including panoramic photographs) and presidents (found in the President's files). Also included are copies of "A History of the National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc., Volumes I-III."
- Biographical or historical data
- The National Business and Professional Women's Club held its first convention in St. Louis in July 1919 and elected Gail Laughlin as the first president. Virginia was one of the earliest State Federations to affiliate with the National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs. In 1919, Dr. Orie Latham Hatcher, Cornelia Adair, Mrs. Geline MacDonald Bowman, Ella Agnew, Katherine Hawes, and Mrs. Beverly B. Munford called the meeting at which the Virginia Federation was formed with the clubs of Richmond, Roanoke, Lynchburg and Danville as its charter members. Miss Ella Agnew was the first president of the Virginia Federation, serving 1919 to 1920. In 2009, due to declining membership, the Virginia Federation dissolved.
- Cataloging source
ContextContext of Virginia Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs records, 1921-2009
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Virginia Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs records, 1921-2009
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tD9OQYdereM/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tD9OQYdereM/">Virginia Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs records, 1921-2009</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...