The Resource Henrico County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1770-1912
- Henrico County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1770-1912
- Inclusive dates
- Wills -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Estates (Law) -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Land subdivision -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Deeds -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Land records -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Chancery causes -- Virginia | Henrico County
- African Americans -- History
- Judicial records -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Henrico County (Va.)
- Divorce suits -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Henrico County (Va.) -- History
- Equity. -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Plats -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Business enterprises. -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Debt -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Henrico County
- Henrico County (Va.) -- Genealogy
- Henrico County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1770-1912, are indexed into the Chancery Records Index. Cases are identified by style of suit consisting of plaintiff and defendant names. Surnames of others involved in a suit, including secondary plaintiffs and defendants, witnesses, deponents and affiants, and family members with surnames different from the plaintiff or defendant are indexed. Chancery causes often involved the following: divisions of estates or land, disputes over wills, divorces, debt, and business disputes. Predominant documents found in chancery causes include bills (plaintiff's complaint), answers (defendant's response), decrees (court's decision), depositions, affidavits, correspondence, lists of heirs, deeds, wills, slave records, business records or vital statistics, among other items. Plats, if present, are noted, as are wills from localities with an incomplete record of wills or localities other than the one being indexed
- Chancery causes are useful when researching local history, genealogical information, and land or estate divisions. They are a valuable source of local, state, social, and legal history and serve as a primary source for understanding a locality's history
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Circuit Court (Henrico County). Browse search: Henrico County (Va.) Circuit Court.
- Biographical or historical data
- Chancery Causes are cases of equity. According to Black's Law Dictionary they are "administered according to fairness as contrasted with the strictly formulated rules of common law." A judge, not a jury, determines the outcome of the case.
- Henrico County was formed in 1634 (original shire).
- All county court records prior to 1655 and almost all prior to 1677 are missing. Many records were destroyed by British troops during the Revolutionary War. Post-Revolutionary War county court records exist. Almost all circuit superior court of law and chancery and circuit court records were destroyed by fire during the evacuation of Richmond on 3 April 1865 in the Civil War. The county's circuit court held its sessions at the state courthouse in Richmond.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Henrico County Court Records can be found on microfilm at The Library of Virginia web site. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm."
- See the Chancery Records Index found on the Library of Virginia web site for the chancery records of other Virginia localities.
- Henrico County is one of Virginia's Lost Records Localities. Additional Henrico County Court Records may be found in the Virginia Lost Records Localities Collection at the Library of Virginia. Search the Lost Records Localities Database found at the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Henrico County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1770-1912
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Henrico County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1770-1912
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tE-b11H8TvU/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tE-b11H8TvU/">Henrico County (Va.) Chancery Causes, 1770-1912</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...