The Resource 1932-1948,
- Inclusive dates
- Charlottesville (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Yorktown (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Personal papers
- University of Virginia
- Colonial National Monument (Yorktown, Va.)
- Letters (correspondence)
- Cox, Elbert, 1906-1993
- Charlottesville (Va.) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century
- Wyllie, John Cook, 1908-1968
- Letters, 1932-1948, to Elbert Cox (1906-1993) of Yorktown and Richmond, Virginia, from John Cook Wyllie (1908-1968) of Charlottesville, Virginia, and a librarian at the Alderman Library at the University of Virginia, discussing personal and social news. Wyllie mentions his employment at the Alderman Library at the University of Virginia, and Cox's employment with the Colonial National Monument at Yorktown
- Biographical or historical data
- Elbert Cox was born 28 January 1906 in Grayson County, Virginia. He graduated from Roanoke College in 1927 and received a master's degree in history from the University of Virginia. Cox began working for the National Park Service in 1931 as an assistant historian at Yorktown, Virginia, and helped develop the historic site as a park. During World War II, he was a lieutenant commander in the United States Navy and was stationed at the Naval Mine Depot in Yorktown. In 1945, Cox was appointed associate director of the National Park Service's regional headquarters. In 1951, he was promoted to regional director for the National Park Service and held that position until 1966. From 1966 to 1971, Cox was the director of the Virginia Commission on Outdoor Recreation. He also served as director of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. He and his wife Elizabeth Austin Cox had at least two children. Cox died 7 July 1993 in Richmond, Virginia, and was buried in the churchyard of Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Henrico County, Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Location of other archival material
- Elbert Cox Letters, 1965-1966 (LVA accession 31710).
ContextContext of 1932-1948,
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1932-1948,
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tGmwWuJkQjc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tGmwWuJkQjc/">1932-1948,</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...