The Resource 1779-1843
- Inclusive dates
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Participation, French
- Personal papers -- France
- De Grasse family
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Claims
- Genealogies -- France
- Passports -- United States
- Genealogies -- United States
- Grasse, Francois Joseph Paul de Grasse, comte de, 1722-1788
- Personal papers -- United States
- Letters (correspondence)
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 -- Naval operations
- Papers, 1779-1843, of the de Grasse family of France consists of correspondence, 1779-1798, including letters by Francois Joseph Paul comte de Grasse, to his wife and daughters in Paris, France, and to friends, as well as letters received by him. There are no letters for the period 1790-1795. In several of his letters, de Grasse describes the naval operations of his fleet, like the taking of Tobago, and the St. Christophe from the English and 1781 and 1782. Some of the later letters were addressed to Silvie de Grasse, "Salem, near Boston," the name of the sender could not be established. The entire correspondence is written in French. Also contains genealogical notes including a printed volume in French, 1843, which traces the French ancestors of the de Grasse family back to the 10th century. Also included are the following records in English: a handwritten genealogy, notes on related lines, an act by the third congress, 1795, on the payment of $ 4000 to the daughters of the late comte de Grasse for his services rendered during the Revolution, and a 1830 traveling document for Silvie de Grasse and her family, issued by the State Department
- Biographical or historical data
- Admiral of the French fleet during the American Revolution.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- Language note
- In French
- In French and English
- Location of originals duplicates
- Originals in custody of the
- Daughters of the American Revolution, De Grasse Chapter.
ContextContext of 1779-1843
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1779-1843
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tKRAuZgPUT4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tKRAuZgPUT4/">1779-1843</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...