The Resource Black tithables reports, 1846-1847
- Black tithables reports, 1846-1847
- Inclusive dates
- Tax collection -- Virginia -- 19th century
- Slaves -- Virginia -- Taxation
- Free African Americans. -- West Virginia
- Slaves -- West Virginia -- Taxation
- State government records -- Virginia
- Tax collection -- West Virginia -- 19th century
- Free African Americans -- Virginia
- West Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- Virginia -- History -- 19th century
- These records are part of Auditor of Public Accounts. Disbursements to Localities and Individuals: Public Claims - Slaves and Free Blacks
- Reports, 1846-1847, on the numbers of free blacks and slaves subject to taxation in each locality and in some cases, the number of white tithables for the same period. The reports, based on records generated by the Commissioner of the Revenue, were sent to the Auditor of Public Accounts by court clerks. There are no names given
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928). (Search Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts (1776-1928) as author).
- Additional physical form
- Also available on microfilm
- Biographical or historical data
- During the antebellum period the General Assembly passed increasingly restrictive laws in response to white fears of slave crime and insurrection. Procedures were established to compensate slaveholders for the loss of their property when slaves ran away or were imprisoned or executed. Some condemned slaves were transported beyond the state's boundaries, frequently to Africa.
- Free blacks, too, were subjected to harsh laws intended to persuade or compel them to leave Virginia. Special taxes were assessed against them, emigration to Liberia was promoted, and reenslavement for debt or crime was threatened constantly. Some free blacks did leave, but most stayed despite the restrictions.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 755
- Citation source
- Auditor of Public Accounts inventory
ContextContext of Black tithables reports, 1846-1847
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Black tithables reports, 1846-1847
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tnTQgAjz6kA/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/tnTQgAjz6kA/">Black tithables reports, 1846-1847</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...