The Resource Fluvanna County (Va.) Register of Marriage Certificates, 1781-1849
- Fluvanna County (Va.) Register of Marriage Certificates, 1781-1849
- Inclusive dates
- Ministers' returns -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Marriage certificates -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Christian sects. -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Clergy. -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Marriage records -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Local government records -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Fluvanna County (Va.) -- History
- Marriage. -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Fluvanna County (Va.)
- Fluvanna County (Va.) Register of Marriage Certificates, 1781-1849, is comprised of individual marriage certificates. These certificates record the names of both parties celebrating the rites of matrimony, the date of the marriage, the name of the minister who performed the ceremony and the date that the marriage was registered in the county clerk's office. These signed documents certified that a minister had performed the actual marriage ceremony between the named individuals on a given date. By 1797 (p. 27), the minister's religious denomination is noted. Beginning in 1801 (p. 52), ministers' returns are also included. These returns, made by individual ministers of marriages performed within the county, are in the form of lists which record the names of all parties and the dates of the marriages. In addition, there is an internal index to this volume which is alphabetically arranged according to each married individual's order of appearance within the volume
- Member of
- Biographical or historical data
- Fluvanna County was formed in 1777 from Albemarle County. It takes its name from an eighteenth-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of Queen Anne of England.
- Prior to 1853, when the Commonwealth began recording vital statistics, Virginia marriages were recorded at the county or city level. Beginning in 1661, in order to be married by license, the groom was required to go before the county clerk and give bond with security that there was no lawful reason to prevent the marriage. The license, issued then by the clerk, was given to the minister who performed the service. Written consent from a parent or guardian was needed for individuals younger than twenty-one years.
- Until 1780, marriages could be performed only by ministers of the Established Church, who were required by law to record marriages in the parish register. In 1780, dissenting ministers (only four per county from each sect) were permitted to perform marriage ceremonies. In order to have a record of all marriages, ministers were required to sign a certificate to be filed with the county clerk. Initially, ministers sent marriage certificates to the clerk every three months. Some ministers adopted a custom of making collected returns--a list of marriages performed within a period of time such as a year or several years. Beginning in 1784, marriage certificates were returned annually. The law was rarely enforced, and ministers' returns were sometimes late, incorrect, incomplete and in many instances, not made at all. County clerks compiled a register of marriages based, in part, on ministers' returns.
- The original marriage records, from which these volumes were compiled, were created by the County Court.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Fluvanna Marriage Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm" found on the Library of Virginia's web site.
ContextContext of Fluvanna County (Va.) Register of Marriage Certificates, 1781-1849
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Fluvanna County (Va.) Register of Marriage Certificates, 1781-1849
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/u5qT_663Lr4/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/u5qT_663Lr4/">Fluvanna County (Va.) Register of Marriage Certificates, 1781-1849</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...