The Resource General records from the Virginia Land Office, 1670-1806
- General records from the Virginia Land Office, 1670-1806
- Inclusive dates
- These records include correspondence, depositions, bills of sale, lists, and surveys of unknown disposition
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Land Office (Search Virginia Land Office as author)
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Virginia Northern Neck Land Office (Search Virginia Northern Neck Land Office as author).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Northern Neck Land Office controlled 5,282,000 acres in land grants located between the Rappahannock and Potomac rivers, which were given to seven loyal supporters of King Charles II. Agents of the Northern Neck Proprietary issued the first land grant in 1690.
- To obtain land in the Northern Neck persons purchased warrants which specified the exact location of the land desired. A warrant was taken to a surveyor, and the land desired was surveyed. The plat and any accompanying papers were returned to the proprietor's office from which, if no discrepancy existed and no conflicting claim was presented, a grant was issued. The survey was filed and the grant recorded before delivery. Unlike the colonial Land Office, the Northern Neck Land Office did not annually destroy plats.
- The Proprietary operated until the death of Lord Fairfax in 1781. For the next thirty years, however, the ownership was in dispute. Fairfax family interest was terminated in 1808 when the last surviving heir sold his title to his remaining manor to a syndicate.
- Cataloging source
- Citation location within source
- entry no. 104
- Citation source
- Land Office Inventory
ContextContext of General records from the Virginia Land Office, 1670-1806
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work General records from the Virginia Land Office, 1670-1806
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/urtkP9d4DOw/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/urtkP9d4DOw/">General records from the Virginia Land Office, 1670-1806</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...