The Resource Frederick County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1922
- Frederick County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1922
- Inclusive dates
- Military records -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Veterans. -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Muster rolls -- Virginia | Frederick County
- World War, 1917-1918 -- Registers -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Frederick County (Va.) -- History -- 20th century
- Frederick County (Va.)
- Virginia -- History -- World War, 1914-1918
- Local government records -- Virginia | Frederick County
- Frederick County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1922 (bulk 1917-1918), is a listing of men who served in one of the several branches of the armed services during World War I. Information included in the muster roll includes name, address (name of town), age, color, selective service (date drafted), volunteers for army, navy and marine corps (date accepted and which branch), National Guard and naval militia (date and where mustered), rank, branch, and remarks which include notations about date discharged, reason and date of deaths, whether someone was a chaplain, etc
- Pasted in the back of the book is a list of men serving in the 1st and 2nd Virginia Infantry who mustered in on March 25 and on July 25, 1917. A 20 page list made by the Local Board of Frederick County and the City of Winchester is also pasted in the book following the first list. The second list was the source for most of the information recorded in the book
- Biographical or historical data
- Frederick County was named for Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales and eldest son of George II. It was formed from Orange County in 1738, but the county government was not organized until 1743. Part of Augusta County was added later.
- An act passed by the Virginia General Assembly on March 16, 1918 required the recordation of the names of drafted men. The chairman of each of the Local Draft Boards of the Virginia counties and cities were to furnish their clerk of court were deeds of land were recorded, with the list of residents who through the selective draft law have become members of the military forces of the United States. In cities that were separated into divisions, the chairman of the Local Draft Board of each division was to keep the records. In Richmond City, the Clerk of the Chancery Court was to keep the records. When the clerk of the court received this information, he was to copy it in a book or books provided for the purpose and also create an index for the book. The Adjutant-General of the State was to furnish a list of names of those who joined volunteer companies from the counties or cities. These lists are also to be recorded in to the book and also indexed. Persons joining the naval or military forces of the United States or its allies were allowed to have their record listed in the book. They or someone for them made an application and provide proof of service and when this was done; their record would be recorded in the book.
- Cataloging source
- Location of other archival material
- Additional Military Records can be found on microfilm at the Library of Virginia. Consult "A Guide to Virginia County and City Records on Microfilm: found on the Library of Virginia web site.
ContextContext of Frederick County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1922
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Frederick County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1922
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/v8Qd2N6Jx4Q/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/v8Qd2N6Jx4Q/">Frederick County (Va.) Muster Roll in the War with Germany, 1917-1922</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...