The Resource Office of the State Librarian Library Board correspondence and subject files, 1964-2009
- Office of the State Librarian Library Board correspondence and subject files, 1964-2009
- Inclusive dates
- Contains files for individual Library Board members created and maintained by the State Librarian. The files contain correspondence to and from the board member and other board members, the State Librarian, and administrative personnel. Also included is biographical information, sporadic meeting minutes, attendance information, press releases, resolutions, and certificates of recognition. Many of the files contain notations about the member's years of board service and in some cases, date of death. It is important to note that the dates associated with each member's file do not necessarily correspond with his or her dates of service. Additional material was often added to files after members left the board. In most cases, each file is labeled with the name of the State Librarian who served during that particular member's tenure on the board. The files span the administrations of the following State Librarians: Randolph Church, Donald Haynes, Ella Gaines Yates, John Tyson, and Nolan Yelich. Additions to exisiting files were also made during the tenure of Dr. Sandra Treadway
- Agency history record describes the history and functions of the Library of Virginia. (Search author as Library of Virginia).
- Biographical or historical data
- The Library Board is made up of 15 members appointed by the Governor to five-year terms. As a policy board, the Library Board is authorized to provide direction to The Library of Virginia with respect to the scope of the Library's collection and its promotion of history education (Code of Virginia, Title 42.1, Chapter 1, Article 1). The board is also responsible for establishing guidelines for the management, preservation, and destruction of the Commonwealth's public records (Code of Virginia, Title 42.1, Chapter 7). The board is authorized to create standards of eligibility for local and regional public library systems regarding the allocation of state and federal funds (Code of Virginia, Title 42.1, Chapter 3), as well as to establish the qualifications required to hold a professional library position in the Commonwealth (Code of Virginia, Title 42.1, Chapter 1, Article 2). The Library Board operates under the supervision of the Secretary of Education.
- The Library Board maintains a close working relationship with the State Librarian, agency head of the Library of Virginia. The State Librarian serves as a liaison between the agency, its staff members, and the board. The State Librarian attends board meetings and provides board members with accurate reports on the status of each division of the library. The board is divided into policy and oversight committees based on the internal divisions of the Library of Virginia.
- Cataloging source
- Citation source
- Salmon, John S., comp. A GUIDE TO STATE RECORDS IN THE ARCHIVES BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA BRANCH OF THE VIRGINIA STATE LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES. Richmond: Virginia State Library, 1985
ContextContext of Office of the State Librarian Library Board correspondence and subject files, 1964-2009
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Office of the State Librarian Library Board correspondence and subject files, 1964-2009
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/vSWZkVZ9bkk/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/vSWZkVZ9bkk/">Office of the State Librarian Library Board correspondence and subject files, 1964-2009</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...