The Resource 1860-1874
- Inclusive dates
- Baker, David S
- Daybooks -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Fluvanna County (Va.) -- History -- 19th century
- Local government records -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Business records -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Byrd plantation (Fluvanna County, Va.)
- Journals (accounts) -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Slavery -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- Virginia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Plantations -- Virginia | Fluvanna County
- David S. Baker Journal, 1860-1874, records the transactions of Byrd Plantation in Fluvanna County. It records transactions as they occurred on a daily basis from January 1860-February 1865. Information found in each entry includes name of individuals doing business with the plantation, items purchased or payment of debt by customers, items purchases or payments made by plantation, and amount owed or paid. Merchandise sold and purchased include turkeys, ox hide, butter, oats, straw hats, and whiskey. Payments made by plantation to individuals to build a church, weave cloth, hiring slaves, and nails. Also included in volume are contracts signed by David S. Baker related to hauling lumber from the estate of Thomas Baker
- Biographical or historical data
- David S. Baker served as manager of Byrd Plantation in Fluvanna County owned by Thomas Baker during the latter half of the 19th century.
- Fluvanna County takes its name from an eighteenth-century designation of the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of Queen Anne of England. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. The county seat is Palmyra.
- Cataloging source
- Form designation
- David S. Baker Journal
ContextContext of 1860-1874
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work 1860-1874
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/vSdzHKtKIWc/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/resource/vSdzHKtKIWc/">1860-1874</a></span> - <span property="offers" typeOf="Offer"><span property="offeredBy" typeof="Library ll:Library" resource="http://link.virginiamemory.com/#_default"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.virginiamemory.com/">Library of Virginia</a></span></span></span></span></div>
Structured data from the Bibframe namespace is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License by Library of Virginia. Additional terms may apply to data associated with third party namespaces.
Processing Feedback ...